CyLog - Updated 4/23/2001:
- 12/26/00 - Ordered a Cybiko from cybiko.com
- 12/29/00 - Cybiko arrives. Upon discovering that there is Mac
software for it, we buy a USB-Serial adapter from CompUSA and try to
get it working (after the PalmConnect didn't work). The software still
doesn't work, so we use VirtualPC and run the Windows version. COMCTL32.DLL
needs to be updated and cybiko.com recommends installing IE 4.0 (which
is a waste). Instead, a quick search of Microsoft's site reveals an
updater to fix that problem. We decide to buy a second Cybiko from the
only place open by now - Wal Mart. The rest of the night is spent trying
to upgrade the OS in both units. We play with Cylandia and Wireless
- 12/30/00 - We take our Cybikos to the local mall to test distance,
and also see if there are any kids roaming around with units. We find
no other units in use, but did us the RF Scanner to determine distance.
After not being able to find anyplace that sold the memory cards, we
ordered two from cybiko.com.
- 12/31/00 - Installed the Cybiko SDK into VirtualPC on the iMac,
and used it to load programs found at http://alcorgrp.com/DevCybiko/
(Asteroids, Pac-Man, and Tetris, and a program to replace the logo of
- 1/1/01 - Happy 2001!
- 1/2/01 - Took Cybiko to work and got tons of attention. ;-)
I started to notice some odd video problems on my unit. Occassionally,
the screen will get garbled, or go "blank" (not black). Sometimes
the screen shifts down. Usually a power cycle will fix this.
- 1/4/01 - Our two 1 meg memory cards arrived! But, I have requested
a Return Material Authorization # (RMA#) to send my Cybiko back for
repair or replacement. See http://www.cybiko.com/faq/faq2.asp#1094
for details on returning a Cybiko.
- ...end of log until I get a replacement unit.
- 2/01 - A replacement Cybiko arrives, but I am unhappy with
it. First, the box itself must have been a return: there is a partially
removed JC Penneys price tag on it. Second, the unit is a first revision
model (with the sliding on/off switch on the side) and not a "newer"
second generation model like I originally purchased. I wrote Cybiko
explaining that this would not be satisfactory but so far I have not
had a response.
- 3/14/01 - After never hearing back from Cybiko, I gave up on
the device for awhile. Last night I took it out again and looked at
what was on the unit: Personal information for someone called "CyMom",
birthdate 1966. Indeed it was a return (read that as "used")
unit as it had various screens customized in the config section. Hmph.
I wrote Cybiko again about this. I really miss playing pool with Lindsy.
(She still uses her Cybiko every week when we go shopping for groceries.
- 3/20/01 - Cybiko wrote me back (finally) and accepted my claim.
I have returned the unit again for a "new" replacement. Also,
my CyBucks finally registered, and my MP3 is on its way. Pity I won't
have a Cybiko to try it out on for awhile...
- 4/01 - Our two MP3 players arrive, but without Mac software
we haven't had a chance to try them. Most likely we'll buy a flash card
from CompUSA (cheaper than ordering from the Cyiko site) and then use
VirtualPC/Win98 to try it out.
- 4/23/01 - My Cybiko is back! They've changed the packaging
quite a bit and you have to cut into it to get the thing out. I guess
that will take care of people trying to return them to stores where
they could be resold. As soon as I have a moment, I'll get back to playing
with it so I can update this site.